Directionally challenged

I have never had a great sense of direction. I lived in Bloomington for 23 years, and it wasn't until recently that I was able to claim to know my way around. So when I took a job in Tennessee and knew for sure we would be relocating, I decided to purchase a Garmin GPS device to help me until I could learn my way around. It's been a lifesaver! It has now been almost two weeks since I moved to Clarksville, and I feel like I have made some progress toward getting my bearings. I know how to get to the church, my school, the kids' schools, the mall, the library, the YMCA, and the grocery store.

The trouble I have run into, though, is that it appears that in this town the roads have several names. It shouldn't be that big of a deal. There were a couple roads like that in Bloomington. But here it seems like every road has at least three names depending on where you are. In fact, I was looking at a map the other day and discovered that one of the main roads in Clarksville actually has SEVEN names: Paul Buff Parkway, Purple Heart Parkway, Highway 374, 101st Airborne Division Parkway, Warfield Boulevard, Richview Road and the Bypass. It made me laugh to realize that within a ten mile stretch of road, it was called seven different things. No wonder when someone gives me directions I have trouble following them!

0 comments: