Employed at last

As many of you know, I have been actively searching for a teaching job for the past couple months. The biggest problem is that so may states are cutting their funding for public education. Translation: smaller budgets, lots of layoffs, no hiring.

When I came across a listing for elementary teachers in Tennessee, I was interested but unsure. I really wanted to stay in Indiana (where I already have a valid teaching license) and more specifically, Bloomington (where the kids and I have friends and a good support network). But when jobs are scarce, a person can't be picky. So I applied.

Over Spring Break I had a phone interview with the Clarksville-Montgomery County School System. Later in the week I got an email invitation to a job fair at the end of March. After a little persuasion, I decided to make the trip to Tennessee for the job fair. I wasn't sure if it would be worth the time and money, but I felt like I had to at least try...

JACKPOT!
I was offered a position as a fifth grade teacher at Minglewood Elementary School today!
YAHOO!

When I sat down with the principal at the job fair, she began by telling me that she didn't plan to do any hiring that day. That is she liked me she would call me back for another interview. After about five minutes she was asking me for my references. After ten minutes she had me call the assistant principal for a phone interview. By the time I had finished talking to the assistant principal, the principal had filled out a form with all my information and a start date. She said all I had to do was sign it to say I understood.

I told her I wasn't sure that I did understand...
Was she offering me a teaching position at her school for the fall?
Yes.
Would I be interested?
Well, of course!

So, we will be moving once again. To Clarksville, Tennessee.
I am torn. I am so thankful to have a job, but I am sad to be leaving Bloomington once again.
I suppose this is just another adventure. And luckily Tennessee isn't as far away as England...

4 comments:

Mad Queen said...

Yeah Kim for being so amazing to land a teaching job in this crazy economy! See how completely fabulous you are?! I am proud of you!!! And I am so happy you will only be a "road trip" away :).

love,
Tracey

Eszter said...

I wish it was!!! Cos I miss you my friend!
Eszter

Anonymous said...

Yahoo!!!!!!!!!! It will be fun, and a new adventure for you and the kids. Who knows what lies ahead. Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS, Kim!!!! I knew if they needed teachers they wouldn't pass you up! You have such a strong work ethic and your creative and innovative side is so needed in the school system. Christy