Another food post

Recently, my sister sent me an email in which she bemoaned the fact that FOOD is such a big part/obsession of this earthly life. I can completely agree with her.

However...
I do love food and I also enjoy making food.
Take, for example, the following:
Today I made homemade applesauce.
My motivation?
I don't like the applesauce that they sell in England. It is too chunky.
Want to try my easy (except for the peeling of the apples) recipe?

Ingredients:
3-4 pounds of peeled, cored, sliced cooking apples
4 strips of lemon peel
Juice of one lemon, about 3-4 Tbsp
3 inches of cinnamon stick
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 cup water
1/2 tsp salt

Directions:
(1) Put all ingredients in a large pot. Cover. Bring to a boil.
(2) Lower heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
(3) Remove from heat. Remove cinnamon sticks and lemon peels. Mash with potato masher. Ready to serve warm or can be refrigerated.

I know it's easier to buy a jar of applesauce, but this turned out really yummy. And for the food crazed people reading this blog, try the warm, fresh applesauce over vanilla ice cream. DELICIOUS!

0 comments: