Potatoes

This in not a picture of a potato.
It is a donut.
A homemade donut.
Made by yours truly.
The secret ingredient?
Mashed potatoes!
Seriously.

I found this donut recipe online and thought I just had to try it. I couldn't believe that the recipe really called for mashed potatoes. Sure enough, I re-read it several times and found where it explained that potatoes are the most important part of the recipe. So I tried it. They were really yummy when they were hot and fresh!

Here is the recipe for anyone who wants to be adventurous...
1. Microwave 1 cup of milk so it is warm (not hot) and add 5 t yeast and a pinch of sugar. Let stand for 5 minutes.
2. In a bowl, combine 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup warm mashed potatoes, 1/2 t salt, and 1/4 cup sugar.
3. Add milk mixture and 2 T oil to above.
4. Mix dough well for 3 minutes. Remove to a floured surface and knead a few times.
5. Spread out to 1/2 inch thickness with a rolling pin. Cut out donuts and place on a floured surface to rise for 10 minutes.
6. Pour 1/2 inch of oil into a frying pan and heat over medium heat. If the oil smokes, it is too hot. Test the oil with a small scrap of dough.
7. Cook donuts until golden brown on each side. Remove to a rack or paper towel to soak off excess oil.

I made a chocolate glaze for the top of the donuts...
1. In mug, microwave 1/2 cup milk and 1 t butter. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, mix 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 T cocoa, and 3 T milk mixture until smooth.
3. Put a slightly warm donut face down in the chocolate glaze, turn slightly then remove.

Next time I am going to try sugared donuts or maybe cream filled ones.

1 comments:

Mad Queen said...

Yum! I also have a mashed potato recipe that I have not made since Glenn and I were first married. I remember thinking it was a lot of work for something that was completely fattening.... I also thought mine were HEAVY... sounds like you might have a better recipe... when I try it, I will let you know. You are such a fun Mom to make donuts!