I heard it on the radio

Ok.
So, our family was driving to Santa Claus, Indiana to spend the day at Holiday World (an amusement park located in the middle of a bunch of cornfields) when Mike decided to turn on the radio.

A little background information:
Every year Boston Scientific (the company Mike works for) reserves a day at Holiday World for the friends and family of their employees. The tickets were completely free, but we had to provide our own transportation. Luckily it is only about a 2-hour drive from our house. The kids were gloriously pacified in the back seat watching a movie (Thank goodness for DVD players!) and I had run out of things to say (Can you believe it?) so Mike told me to lay down and rest while he drove the rest of the way. I'm sure he was just looking out for me - knowing how exhausting the day was going to be, right? It wasn't that I had started asking silly questions and babbling about who knows what!?!

Back to the story...
So, Mike turns on the radio as I lay back and try to take a little nap. I don't really know how long I was dozing when I became slightly aware of the fact that he was listening to the news instead of music. It sounded like they were listing off the price of various commodities - you know, in a monotone voice "The price of corn is $4.56 a bushel, gold has gone up 26 cents, etc." - but not quite. As I slowly dragged myself back to consciousness, I turned to Mike and asked him if they were talking about fish. Without answering, he grinned at me and turned the radio up so I could hear it better.

Sure enough, they were talking about fish.

But not just talking about them like you might expect. They were reporting on who had caught how many of what kind of fish and what they were using as bait!!! Seriously! So I start hearing "On Friday, Leon Snucker caught 14 trout in Backwoods Creek using chicken liver as bait. Fred Morton caught a 76 pound bass using artificial bait on Saturday at 5:00 am. This is a new record here in Po-Dunk, Indiana."

I guess I just found it so funny that on a Saturday morning, the biggest news in this town was FISH. But, hey! Those were some pretty impressing numbers! And certainly less depressing than some of the news stories anymore.

Note: All names and locations have been changed in order to protect the identity of the real people I am laughing at! (Hee hee hee.)

1 comments:

Mad Queen said...

Okay, this story is making me homesick for simple country life in Indiana... I love it! I love that the news is so borning they have to talk about fish and about a kid ditching class, or maybe a gas station that refused to raise its prices... love it! Don't tell me too many of these stories, I am a big city girl now...