Puppy update

After searching for quite a while, we were lucky enough to find a fabulous new home for our sweet puppy. Katie now lives with Mike's parents and is adjusting beautifully. She has other dogs to play with, people who are home to spend time with her, and plenty of special treatment. (I think it only took two days for her to worm her way into George and Ramona's bed early in the morning. She just loves to cuddle!)

While we are very relieved that Katie is doing so well, I have to admit that I really miss having her around. Despite those frustrating moments when I felt like I just couldn't handle having a dog for one more minute, Katie really was a sweet puppy and we all miss her terribly.

I guess this is what it means to love something enough to let it go...

(I always thought that was such a cheesy quote.)

Knowing Katie needs a family who is not so busy. Knowing she craves human attention. Knowing that many of her unpleasant behaviors were a result of being so miserable from being left alone so often.

We had to make a difficult decision and give her away to a better home. Not because we don't love her, but because we do.

And now I find myself coming home sometimes after a long day and missing having Katie welcome me back. She would always get so excited to see us. I miss seeing her cuddle up with Sammy while we watch TV. I miss seeing her watch the deer in our backyard through the deck railing. I miss laughing at her while she raced around the basement chasing Jonathan every morning before school. I even miss having her around to talk to (yes, I admit it) when I am home alone.

These mixed emotions have me wondering if maybe I am a dog lover afterall!

1 comments:

Mad Queen said...

Yeah, I never did figure out how YOU got a dog. Really, I do not see you as a dog person... but then sometimes with Katie I did... photographs, cute homemade scarves and blankets... you are crazy. Now I read your sad story about missing her and I think... well, maybe she IS a dog lover???!!!